Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a Cambodian vegetarian recipe.
Make and share this Fragrant Eggplant recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large eggplant
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, divided
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 slices fresh ginger (about the size and thickness of a quarter each)
- 4 green onions, sliced (white and green parts divided)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Cut the stem off the eggplant and dice the eggplant into small cubes; sprinkle the cubes with salt and set in a colander to drain for about 15 minutes, then squeeze most of the liquid out.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, and water.
- Heat a wok over medium high heat and and add 1 tablespoon of dry sherry; stir fry the pepper flakes, ginger, and white part of the green onions until fragrant.
- Add the eggplant, reduce heat, and saute about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is cooked through.
- Add in the soy sauce mixture and turn the heat to high, cooking until most of the liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes; be sure to stir so that the eggplant is thoroughly coated with the sauce.
- Make a slurry with the remaining sherry and the cornstarch; add to wok and stir until thickened; toss in green onion tops.
- Serve over plain white rice.