My recipe for an Indian-style rice side dish.
Make and share this Fragrant East Indian Basmati Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon toasted cumin seed
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 green cardamom pods (or 3/8 teaspoon ground cardamom)
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 1 cup basmati rice
CREATIVE ADDITIONS FOR YELLOW RICE (ADD CURRY POWDER OR TURMERIC FIRST PLUS UP TO 4 OTHERS)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon broken cashews or 1 tablespoon peanuts
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh mint
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 -4 whole dried red chilies or 1 seeded diced green chili pepper
- TOAST 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds over medium heat in a pot you wish to cook your rice in, until seeds become aromatic and lightly pop.
- ADD 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 4 whole green cardamom pods or 3/8 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1/8 cup frozen peas (optional). NOTE: ADD the curry powder or turmeric from the CREATIVE ADDITIONS FOR YELLOW RICE; ADD up to 4 of the remaining suggested ingredients now as well, if desired.
- RAISE heat to high.
- BRING to a boil.
- ADD 1 cup basmati rice.
- BOIL 1 1/2 minutes.
- REDUCE heat to lowest setting for 40-45 minutes.
- REMOVE cardamom pods and cinnamon stick if desired; FLUFF rice with a fork before serving.
- SERVE with your favorite Indian entree and enjoy!