6 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Here's an authentic Chinese recipe for drumsticks that I used to serve to large parties when I was in the catering business. It's a bit complicated but worth it. They can be frozen at any point along the way - after steaming or after deep frying. (The recipe comes from "The People's Republic of China Cookbook.) Prep time includes several hours marinating tim.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs chicken legs
- 1Marinate the drumsticks for 4- 5 hours, refrigerated.
- 2Improvise a steamer (or use one of the Chinese steaming devices).
- 3Steam the drumsticks for one hour, covered with aluminum foil that has several small holes pierced in it.
- 4(Check water level in steamer from time to time to make sure there's still some water left).
- 5Air dry the drumsticks for a couple hours.
- 6When ready to deep fry, dredge the steamed drumsticks with cornstarch.
- 7Heat oil to 350- 375º and cook the drumsticks a few at a time until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fragrant Crispy Chicken Legs
Serving Size: 1 (1164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1056.6
- Calories from Fat 516
- Total Fat 57.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 376.8 mg
- Sodium 5255.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 90.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder