This recipe comes from the Seattle P-I. I'm posting here so that I don't lose it! It sounds delicious!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 3⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- lemon wedge, for serving
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over high heat. Add onion and salt and sautéuntil limp, about 3 minutes. Add all spices and sauté until they release their fragrance, about 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and sauté for another minute, until darkened but not burned. (If tomato paste looks too dark too quickly, lower heat.).
- Add celery, turnip and sweet potato and continue to sauté until celery starts to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Return heat to high (if you lowered it), and add broth to pot. Bring to a simmer, then add chicken. Partially cover pot, lower heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and cilantro to pot and continue simmering until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes longer. Stir in the lemon juice and more salt if desired.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and lemon wedge and serve.
Andy and I combined our efforts and made this soup this morning. Wow! The house smells amazing and I can't wait for lunch!!
The end result of this recipe is a delicate and beautifully flavoured soup. I made this for lunches this week, and assuming there's some left after my husband finishes "tasting" it over and again, that's what we'll have. Really looking forward to it!! Thanks for a fantastic recipe!!