Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This light, fresh-tasting soup is based on a Vietnamese pho. The chicken provides both the stock and the meat for the soup. A Jill Dupleix recipe.
- 1 (1 5/8 kg) whole chickens
- 2 white onions, finely sliced
- 5 cm knob fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed
- 3 star anise
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons crisp-fried shallots
- 300 g fresh rice noodles
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 200 g bean sprouts, rinsed
- 1 red chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 bunch vietnamese mint
- 1 bunch fresh Asian basil
- 1 bunch coriander
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Rinse the chicken, place in a large pot with enough cold water to cover and bring to the boil, skimming.
- Add the onions, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, sugar and salt. Simmer for 30 minutes, remove chicken, carve off breasts, and set aside. Return the chicken to the broth and simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- Strain the broth and finely slice the chicken breast and leg meat. Gently reheat the broth with the fish sauce, and 2 tbsp fried shallots.
- Cover the noodles with hot water, gently separate using chopsticks, and drain.
- Divide the noodles between four deep, warmed soup bowls.
- Arrange the chicken meat on top; ladle the hot broth into each bowl, and scatter with remaining fried shallots, spring onions, bean shoots, chilli, mint, basil and coriander. Guests squeeze lime wedges into broth to taste.
Delicious Southern Asian soup full of exotic taste coming from cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, star anise and fish sauce. The onion was great complement to the soup. I followed the recipe except bean sprouts - did not have, but the soup was already yummy without it. The bean sprouts would have made very nice textural contrast. Thank you Amanda for posting this recipe. Made for Asian forum's unrated Asian recipe tag.
Wonderful and just what I needed on a cold wet day and stuffed with a head cold to sooth and comfort me. I did add a diced chilli to it otherwise as per recipe. Thanks AmandainOz, made for Unrated Asian Recipe Tag Game - July/August 2009.