1/1 Photo of Fragrant Chicken and Rice Noodle Soup
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This light, fresh-tasting soup is based on a Vietnamese pho. The chicken provides both the stock and the meat for the soup. A Jill Dupleix recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1 5/8 kg) whole chickens
- 2 white onions, finely sliced
- 5 cm knob fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed
- 3 star anise
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons crisp-fried shallots
- 300 g fresh rice noodles
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 200 g bean sprouts, rinsed
- 1 red chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 bunch vietnamese mint
- 1 bunch fresh Asian basil
- 1 bunch coriander
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1Rinse the chicken, place in a large pot with enough cold water to cover and bring to the boil, skimming.
- 2Add the onions, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, sugar and salt. Simmer for 30 minutes, remove chicken, carve off breasts, and set aside. Return the chicken to the broth and simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- 3Strain the broth and finely slice the chicken breast and leg meat. Gently reheat the broth with the fish sauce, and 2 tbsp fried shallots.
- 4Cover the noodles with hot water, gently separate using chopsticks, and drain.
- 5Divide the noodles between four deep, warmed soup bowls.
- 6Arrange the chicken meat on top; ladle the hot broth into each bowl, and scatter with remaining fried shallots, spring onions, bean shoots, chilli, mint, basil and coriander. Guests squeeze lime wedges into broth to taste.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fragrant Chicken and Rice Noodle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (657 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1215.2
- Calories from Fat 577
- Total Fat 64.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 292.0 mg
- Sodium 1695.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 74.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: