Recipe by VegSocialWorker
From The Moosewood Restaurant Kitchen Garden book. Easily veganized- just leave out the feta cheese. Perfect for fresh summer herbs. Cook time is an estimate. We made this with mostly dried herbs and it still turned out great.
Top Review by Foodieforpeace
What an easy, yummy, healthy recipe! We were looking for a recipe for bulgur that was a hot side and this will be the "go to" for the future. Doubled the veggies, omitted the spearmint and salt, soy and feta were enough. May try other veggie combinations. Served this with grilled tuna and a green bean and tomato salad.
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup diced bell pepper (red or green)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups bulgur
- 3 cups vegetable stock or 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup toasted ground nuts
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh spearmint or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried spearmint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh lovage or 2 tablespoons celery leaves
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In an ovenproof skillet large enough to contain all the ingredients, saute the onion, carrot, and pepper in the oil.
- When the onion and carrot have just softened, add the bulgur and saute for a minute or two, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
- Add all of the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Served topped with crumbled feta cheese, if desired.