Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From The Moosewood Restaurant Kitchen Garden book. Easily veganized- just leave out the feta cheese. Perfect for fresh summer herbs. Cook time is an estimate. We made this with mostly dried herbs and it still turned out great.
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup diced bell pepper (red or green)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups bulgur
- 3 cups vegetable stock or 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup toasted ground nuts
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh spearmint or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried spearmint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh lovage or 2 tablespoons celery leaves
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In an ovenproof skillet large enough to contain all the ingredients, saute the onion, carrot, and pepper in the oil.
- When the onion and carrot have just softened, add the bulgur and saute for a minute or two, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
- Add all of the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Served topped with crumbled feta cheese, if desired.