2 hrs 20 mins
Carrie Ann's Note:
The combination of flavours in this wonderful sweet-spicy dish are impressive and well worth the cost of the jar of Major Grey chutney.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs well-trimmed bonless beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 large tomatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons major grey chutney
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- hot cooked rice
- 1Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in large pot until hot.
- 3Working in batches, brown beef on all sides.
- 4Drain and transfer to plate.
- 5Heat remaining tablespoon oil in same pot over medium-high heat.
- 6Add onions and saute until tender and golden brown.
- 7Return beef to pot.
- 8Add cloves, garlic,cinnamon sticks, bay leaf and dried red pepper; stir 1 minute.
- 9Stir in milk, tomatoes, chutney, lemon juice, ginger,curry powder and salt; bring to a boil.
- 10Reduce heat.
- 11Cover,and simmer until beef is tender, about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 12Remove meat to platter; cover and keep warm.
- 13Thicken juices in pot; return meat and heat through.
- 14Serve hot over cooked rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fragrant Beef Curry With Rice
Serving Size: 1 (422 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 337.2
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 102.8 mg
- Sodium 348.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 36.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: