Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
The combination of flavours in this wonderful sweet-spicy dish are impressive and well worth the cost of the jar of Major Grey chutney.
- 2 lbs well-trimmed bonless beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 3 large tomatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons major grey chutney
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- hot cooked rice
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in large pot until hot.
- Working in batches, brown beef on all sides.
- Drain and transfer to plate.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in same pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and saute until tender and golden brown.
- Return beef to pot.
- Add cloves, garlic,cinnamon sticks, bay leaf and dried red pepper; stir 1 minute.
- Stir in milk, tomatoes, chutney, lemon juice, ginger,curry powder and salt; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover,and simmer until beef is tender, about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove meat to platter; cover and keep warm.
- Thicken juices in pot; return meat and heat through.
- Serve hot over cooked rice.
This was ok. If I was to make it again, I'd definitely add more curry powder, and probably omit the lemon juice.