1/1 Photo of Fragrant and flavorful lamb and leek pasta sauce
2 hrs 15 mins
THIS IS SO GOOD! My sweetie and I prepared this last night and enjoyed it thoroughly. It was so delicious. The leeks disappear and flavour the lamb sauce very lightly. The accompanying yogurt sauce is lovely drizzled over the meat sauce. Very very nice. This recipe is originally from James McNair's favorites with some slight adaptations. In his cookbook, this is served with stuffed leek pasta, whereas we had it with fresh linguini and it was wonderful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups leeks, chopped (white and pale green sections)
- 1 cup carrot, finely sliced
- 12 ounces ground lamb
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups peeled seeded and chopped ripe tomatoes or 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- fresh black pepper
- 1Melt the butter.
- 2(Medium heat) Add the leek and carrot.
- 3Cook about 5 minutes Add the ground lamb.
- 4Cook until no longer pink.
- 5Add wine and increase heat to high.
- 6Cook and stir until the wine evaporates.
- 7Add tomatoes, bay leaf, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
- 8Reduce heat to simmer.
- 10Simmer for 2 hours.
- 11Prepare the yogurt sauce: Combine yogurt, garlic, and minced mint leaves.
- 12Allow to sit so that the flavour of the garlic opens into the yogurt.
- 13I know that two hours is a long time for the meat sauce to cook, but it is well worth it as the flavour of the spices opens out throughout the sauce.
- 14After the sauce is finished, boil the pasta you wish to use.
- 15Serve with the pasta sauce over the pasta, and drizzle the yogurt sauce over both.
- 16You can also use the yogurt sauce as a dressing over an accompanying salad.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fragrant and flavorful lamb and leek pasta sauce
Serving Size: 1 (901 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 967.7
- Calories from Fat 548
- Total Fat 60.9 g
- Saturated Fat 29.9 g
- Cholesterol 186.7 mg
- Sodium 299.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 23.9 g
- Protein 41.5 g