Recipe by Sarah Chana
This one is for my friend Pam, who calls it "that cabbage potato thing". Simple, probably quasi-Indian, and delicious
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 large potatoes, peeled, cubed small
- 1 head cabbage, checked, rinsed, and shredded
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare all the vegetables: garlic, onion, potatoes, and cabbage. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a huge skillet and cook the spices until the mustard seeds pop, mixing constantly.
- Add the garlic, onion and potatoes, and cook another 5-10 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, mix, cover the pan and cook over slow-medium heat for another 25 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn’t burn. (It might need a tiny bit of water to cook the potatoes well, but add only a tiny amount or the whole thing will be mushy).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to cook until potatoes are cooked through.
- Add lemon juice (if desired).