Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Fragolo is a very sweet Italian strawberry liqueur that is a great digestivo or after dinner drink. The liqueur not only tastes great but is a beautiful feast for the eyes. Very easy recipe...the hardest part is waiting 7 months for it to macerate. Be sure to shake it when you peek in on its progress. Pour it in an elegant bottle and seal with wax and give as a gift. Hopefully, your friend will share. A tablespoon in a pie crust or added to strawberry pie has phenomenal results.
- 3⁄4 lb very ripe strawberry (wild if possible)
- 1 (1/2 inch) vanilla bean, crushed
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄3 cups grain alcohol or 1 1⁄3 cups vodka
- Rinse strawberries and hull.
- Place in a 2 Quart jar with tight fitting lid. Add the remaining ingredients, seal, and steep for a month in a dark place. Gently shake them once or twice a day during this period.
- After one month, pour the liqueur through a wire mesh strainer and into a bowl. Let the strawberries drain well. Strain again using a coffee filter or paper filter and then transfer the liqueur into a clear glass bottle.
- Cork the bottle, let it set for about 7 months.
I made this back in december and have waited til now to review it. Definately worth waiting for it to mellow out.. It's very sweet however splash a little soda into it with ice and you have something very special. I made 5 bottles last january and will do at least the same amount again, as soon as strawberries are back in season. Thankyou for a great recipe!
This is excellent!!
Delicious. I might cut the sugar back to one cup if I try again, as it was very sweet.