Recipe by Thorsten
A delicious sweet treat. Every year around November (or sooner) it is time to make fruit bread with mixed dried fruit. There is no Advent season in Germany without fruit bread. I found this easy to make fruit bread in a small book on Christmas bakery. I have changed it slightly and make several of this bread each year. The bread (which is more like a cake) is best, when you store it for at least for a few days wrapped tightly in aluminum foil. I love the taste and the different flavors of this bread.
Top Review by Linda Y. L.
This was delicious! I made it with some Purdy's dried fruit received as gift at Christmas. It made four small loaves which I distributed amongst my work team who also loved it. Will definitely make this again.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 2 cups rye flour, see note
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup currants, dried
- 1 cup raisins
- 2⁄3 lb mixed dried fruit, diced (plums, apricots, dates, figs)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven (300°F, 150°C).
- Mix butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add one egg after another and mix until mixture is foamy. Add the finely grated rind of 1 lemon.
- Mix the flour with baking powder, sieve and add to the butter mixture.
- Mix until combined.
- Fold in dried fruit.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan form.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 300°F Increase heat after 30 minutes to 360 F (180 C) and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick. If toothpick comes out clean bread is ready.
- Let cool in form for about 10 minutes. Then remove from form and let cool completely.
- Wrap into aluminum foil and store at least overnight.
- NOTE: rye flour can be replaced by unbleached wheat flour. You can also use whole wheat flour or whole spelt flour.
- NOTE: instead of dried currants and raisins you can use raisins only. You can also use other dried fruit of your own choice.
- NOTE: the bread can be stored tightly wrapped in aluminum foil and in a zip lock bag for weeks. In the beginning of December I make the Früchtebrot for Christmas. The taste is getting better with storage time.