1/3 Photos of Früchtebrot Mit Backobst (Fruit Bread W/ Mixed Dried Fruit)
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 10 mins
A delicious sweet treat. Every year around November (or sooner) it is time to make fruit bread with mixed dried fruit. There is no Advent season in Germany without fruit bread. I found this easy to make fruit bread in a small book on Christmas bakery. I have changed it slightly and make several of this bread each year. The bread (which is more like a cake) is best, when you store it for at least for a few days wrapped tightly in aluminum foil. I love the taste and the different flavors of this bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven (300°F, 150°C).
- 2Mix butter and sugar until creamy.
- 3Add one egg after another and mix until mixture is foamy. Add the finely grated rind of 1 lemon.
- 4Mix the flour with baking powder, sieve and add to the butter mixture.
- 5Mix until combined.
- 6Fold in dried fruit.
- 7Pour into a greased loaf pan form.
- 8Bake for 30 minutes at 300°F Increase heat after 30 minutes to 360 F (180 C) and bake for another 30 minutes.
- 9Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick. If toothpick comes out clean bread is ready.
- 10Let cool in form for about 10 minutes. Then remove from form and let cool completely.
- 11Wrap into aluminum foil and store at least overnight.
- 12NOTE: rye flour can be replaced by unbleached wheat flour. You can also use whole wheat flour or whole spelt flour.
- 13NOTE: instead of dried currants and raisins you can use raisins only. You can also use other dried fruit of your own choice.
- 14NOTE: the bread can be stored tightly wrapped in aluminum foil and in a zip lock bag for weeks. In the beginning of December I make the Früchtebrot for Christmas. The taste is getting better with storage time.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Früchtebrot Mit Backobst (Fruit Bread W/ Mixed Dried Fruit)
Serving Size: 1 (1434 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5000.5
- Calories from Fat 1891
- Total Fat 210.1 g
- Saturated Fat 123.4 g
- Cholesterol 1334.0 mg
- Sodium 1300.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 777.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 68.5 g
- Sugars 386.3 g
- Protein 64.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of