Recipe by FLKeysJen
Served at The Grit, a famous vegetarian restaurant in Athens, Georgia. They use Blue Moon White Ale because it's hearty but also tangy.
Top Review by Chef Leezard
Very good recipe. I conbined 1 1/4 C. AP and 1 1/4 C. Whole Wheat for the flour. Then I used Kona Pipeline Porter for the brewski. I also used an additional 1/4 t. of fresh Rosemary (only cause I love the flavor). Brushed the top with unsalted butter the last 10 minutes. Cheddar disappears and serves only as a binder. Awesome flavor though! Next experiment will substitute a Adobe Chipotle instead of the Jalapeno....stay tuned!
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 ounces beer (the heartier, the better)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 jalapeno pepper, very finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan or glass baking dish.
- Sift together the first 8 (dry) ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and stir just until fully combined. Spread batter evenly into baking pan or dish. Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until a clean knife or toothpick inserted into center of bread comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for at least 15 minutes, cut, and serve with butter, if desired.