Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I received this recipe after having it at a 4th of July party. Hence the name for this different 7 layer salad. This is a great tasting and looking salad. When I make this salad for just us, I keep all ingredients separate, then I don't have soggy lettuce the next time I eat the salad.
- 1 head lettuce, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced diagonally
- 1⁄4 medium purple onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (I use apple cider)
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled (or use bacon bits)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (or to your liking)
- In a large bowl, glass one if you have it, begin to layer ingredients as follows:.
- Layer 1 - Lettuce.
- Layer 2 - Celery.
- Layer 3 - Purple Onion.
- Layer 4 - Combine sour cream and sugar and pour over salad.
- Layer 5 - Combine mayonnaise and vinegar and pour on top.
- Layer 6 - Sprinkle parmesan cheese.
- Layer 7 - Sprinkle bacon.
This was good and easy to make. I got mixed reactions on the dressing though. Some liked it and others didn't. I followed the recipe as written other then I didn't add purple onions as my kids wouldn't eat them. I also used Splenda instead of sugar as that is all I buy. I used hormel bacon bits instead of cooking my own bacon.
This is the most awesome salad. I have been looking for this recipe for probably 12 years. When I worked for a catering company many years ago, we made this at some of our events and I fell in love with it. I couldn't remember all the ingredients, but here it is. Thanks!
It may be November, but we really enjoyed this salad: just loved the blend of flavours. I scaled it down to 4 serves. Proportionally I used less sugar (I used brown sugar): Australians in general use less sugar in recipes. Loved the bacon in this. I didn't weigh it, but used 6 rindless middle rashers of bacon - cooked in the microwave between 2 sheets of kitchen paper for a couple of minutes. Such a lazy and easy way to cook bacon! This may have been proportionally more bacon, but it was just SO delicious with the other salad ingredients. Made for PRMR. Thanks for sharing this recipe!