Recipe by Irish Rose
Great soup for anytime of the year, but especially for the crisp, cool days ahead of us.
Top Review by susie cooks
This soup has a very mild onion flavor. We all enjoyed it. I followed it exactly. I think next time I will add an extra clove of garlic and maybe another 1/2 red onion to give it a little more flavor. Thanks Irish Rose!
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 medium leek, white portion only
- 5 green onions with tops
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 6 slices toasted French bread
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice all onions 1/4 inch thick.
- In a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat, saute onions and garlic in butter for 15 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, consomme, worcestershire sauce and nutmeg and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbls. of swiss cheese in the bottom of six overproof 8 oz. bowls.
- Ladle hot soup into bowls and top each with a slice of bread.
- Sprinkle with remaining Swiss cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Broil until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.