Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Leeks, shallots, onions and garlic combine to make a rich, delicious side dish. You can use jarred baby onions at step #3 and just not cook them for the additional 10 minutes as they are not frozen. This dish can be made a day ahead, just bring to room temperature before baking. One last thing, fresh grated Parmesan cheese is good on top along with the bread crumbs but is optional!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 6 leeks, sliced (white and pale green parts only)
- 2 large onions, cut into eighths
- 8 shallots, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 (10 ounce) bagsfrozen baby onions, thawed, drained
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add leeks, large onions, shallots and garlic and sauté until all are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add baby onions and cook 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in 2 cups whipping cream.
- Boil until cream is thickened to sauce consistency, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer vegetable-cream mixture to 6-cup shallow baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over onion mixture.
- Bake until breadcrumbs are golden brown and onion mixture bubbles, about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
I can't believe I forgot to review this! (Maybe because I was too busy enjoying it!) I used frozed baby white onions and it was delicious. Not only did the whole family love it, but the leftovers were very tasty, Thanks, Junessa, for posting this one. It is definitely a keeper!!