Prep 2 mins
Cook 8 mins
A delicious grilled cheese sandwich I happened upon randomly. Since this recipe calls for a wider than usual selection of cheese that may exist in a normal household, it's recommended that you purchase a cheese slice assortment. Wouldn't recommend this for kids unless your child likes real cheese, which in my personal experience, is not usually the case.
- 2 slices white bread
- 1 slice colby-monterey jack cheese
- 1 slice cheddar cheese (sharp, medium, mild, etc)
- 1 slice swiss cheese
- 1 slice American cheese (as in processed, hardly cheese at all, mostly oil, cheese)
- 1 -2 tablespoon diced onion (red or white)
- 3 dashes garlic powder
- 5 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 4 dashes liquid smoke
- 1 dash fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (add as needed or desired)
- Take a frying pan, add the diced onions and olive oil.
- Set burner to medium-high.
- Add in Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke before onions start to sizzle.
- Add in garlic powder and black pepper once onions begin to sizzle.
- Stir frequently.
- Fry until evenly browned.
- Set aside onions.
- Take white bread, lay all cheese slices in an order of your choosing, add onions on top, put on top slice of bread.
- Re-oil pan if necessary.
- on low heat, toast each side of the sandwich until desired toasting has been attained.
- Make sure to check that the cheese is evenly melted through.
Can't go wrong with grilled cheese sandwiches! I typically make grilled cheese with three slices of cheese, so I would probably omit the Swiss cheese when making it again (my least favorite cheese out of the combo in this sandwich). The seasoned caramelized onion was a great addition to the cheese, and would be great on burgers as well. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall 2012.
This made a great lunch for us today. In order to get the cheese to melt completely I had to put a lid on the skillet for a few minutes. Made for PAC Fall 2012.
My DH loved this sandwich, so I gave it 5 stars. I never thought I'd ever say this, but it was too much cheese for me! I will keep the onion mixture on grilled cheese in the future:)Thanks for posting! made for Fall PAC 2012