Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Adapted from the fatfreevegan website. This is a tasty one dish meal- perfect for a cold, fall night.
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 large celery ribs, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed tomatoes with basil
- 1⁄4 cup bulgur
- 1⁄4 cup wild rice
- 1⁄4 cup millet or 1⁄4 cup quinoa
- 1⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons sodium-free seasoning, mix (like Spike or Mrs. Dash)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch swiss chard or 1 bunch spinach
- Spray a soup pot with oil spry and add the onion-- sauté over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes, until translucent. Add water as needed to keep from sticking.
- Add the celery, carrots, sweet potato, tomatoes, the four grains and seasoning.
- Stir in 6 cups stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently, covered, for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes or so.
- If the soup is too dense, adjust with additional water and return to a gentle simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer gently for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the grains and vegetables are tender.
- If time allows, let the soup stand off the heat for an hour or two before serving, then heat through as needed.
- Just before serving, stem, wash, and coarsely chop the chard or spinach. Steam in a large saucepan with just the water clinging to the leaves, just until the leaves wilt, then stir into the soup.
- This soup thickens quite a bit as it stands.
- Add water as needed and adjust the seasonings.
Our whole family loved this! Very hearty, but so tasty.
I loved this! Because it was so darn good, low fat, low cal, and good fibre. But really, this tasted awesome too. I halved the recipe and I used a massive tomato in place of the canned tomatoes and added some basil. Everything else I kept the same. Fantastic choice of grains! Thanks for posting.