Four Grain Tomato Soup With Greens
- Spray a soup pot with oil spry and add the onion-- sauté over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes, until translucent. Add water as needed to keep from sticking.
- Add the celery, carrots, sweet potato, tomatoes, the four grains and seasoning.
- Stir in 6 cups stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently, covered, for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes or so.
- If the soup is too dense, adjust with additional water and return to a gentle simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer gently for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the grains and vegetables are tender.
- If time allows, let the soup stand off the heat for an hour or two before serving, then heat through as needed.
- Just before serving, stem, wash, and coarsely chop the chard or spinach. Steam in a large saucepan with just the water clinging to the leaves, just until the leaves wilt, then stir into the soup.
- This soup thickens quite a bit as it stands.
- Add water as needed and adjust the seasonings.