Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
This compote came from Taste of Home in 1994. I love the ease and taste of the crisp fruits within a light sauce. Plus it looks great on the table.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 3/4 cup juice.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add pineapple juice, orange juice (from Mandarin oranges) and lemon juice.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Remove from the heat, set aside.
- In a bowl, combine pineapple chunks, oranges, apples and bananas.
- Pour warm sauce over the fruit; stir gently to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate.
I love this fruit salad. I usually omit the banana because it tends to get mushy over time. I substitute halved grapes instead. I usually mix green or red grapes with a contrasting apple color. It's very colorful.
I love this recipe and have made it many times! I love the warm sauce - I put a little red food coloring in it to make it look festive. What I love about this recipe is that you can increase or decrease the amount of apples and bananas to allow for the number of servings. I serve the sauce on the side so that those who just want plain fruit salad are happy and those who want the sauce are happy, too!