1/1 Photo of Four-Flavour Icebox Cookies
1 hr 30 mins
Jenny Sanders's Note:
This makes a large batch of rich dough, with numerous possibilities for flavouring -- great for catering, pot-lucks, Christmas cookie exchanges, and other large gatherings of cookie lovers. Few will discern, however, that they all are made from the same dough. Prep time does not include chilling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups soft unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon mint, almond or 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup dried cherries or 1 cup cranberries
- 1/4 cup soft unbleached flour
- 1 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut, toasted
- 1/3 cup preserved gingerroot, minced
- 1Cream the butter and beat in the sugars, one at a time.
- 2Add the eggs and vanilla, beat well.
- 3Mix the flour, baking soda and salt.
- 4Work into the creamed mixture.
- 5Divide the dough into four equal parts.
- 6Mix the oats and cinnamon into one part.
- 7Melt the chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave. Mix the slightly cooled melted chocolate into the second part, along with the cocoa and a flavouring of your choice.
- 8Mix the lemon zest and juice, and dried cherries into the third part, along with the 1/4 cup flour.
- 9Toast the coconut lightly in an ungreased heavy skillet.
- 10Let cool and mix the coconut and minced ginger into the last part.
- 11Shape each flavoured dough into an even log, 2" in diameter.
- 12Roll up tightly in waxed paper or plastic.
- 13Chill from 1 hour to 24 hours until wanted.
- 14Logs can also be frozen; thaw ten minutes before slicing.
- 15Cut thin slices (about 1/4" thick) from each log and bake on a lightly greased baking sheet, at 375°F for about 10 minutes.
- 16They should be just very lightly browned.
- 17Place well apart, as they spread.
- 18The dough should still be quite chilled when it goes into the oven.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Four-Flavour Icebox Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1864 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 75.9
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 12.4 mg
- Sodium 68.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of