1/5 Photos of Four Cheese Pasta Roll Ups
1 hr 15 mins
Hag chef's Note:
4 cheese ravioli meets lasagna roll ups. A combination of 2 recipes, makes this an elegant, yet simple dish fit for company.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
4 cheese filling
- 1 (10 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 5 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup provolone cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
Pesto Alfredo Cream Sauce
- 1Mound the flour and salt together on a work surface and form a well. Beat the teaspoon of olive oil, 2 eggs, and water in a bowl. Pour half the egg mixture into the well. Begin mixing the egg with the flour with one hand; use your other hand to keep the flour mound steady. Add the remaining egg mixture and knead to form a dough.
- 2Knead the dough until smooth, 8 to 10 minutes; add more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- 3Alternatively, those who are fortunate enough to own a Kitchenaid mixer, beat the olive oil, 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons of the water, and salt in the bowl of the mixer. Add 1 cup of the flour, and using the paddle attachment, mix at a speed of 2 or 3, and add the remaining flour to the egg mixture, a little at a time.
- 4When the mixture looks like its all crumbly, turn the machine off, then put in the dough hook attachment. Knead the dough on speed 2, and add enough of the remaining water, until it forms a smooth ball, for 3-5 minutes. (you may need to use more or less water, depending on the consistency of the dough) Dough should not be sticky. If it is, add a little flour.
- 5Form the dough into a ball and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 6While the dough is resting, prepare the cheese filling. Combine the ricotta cheese, cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, provolone cheese, egg, garlic, white pepper and parsley and mix well. Set the filling aside.
- 8Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- 9Roll out the pasta dough into thin sheets no thicker than a nickel. (On the kitchenaid roller, it's size 4).
- 10Cut the pasta into sheets 13" long, and about 5" wide (as wide as the pasta comes out of the pasta roller).
- 11Gently place the pasta into the boiling water, and cook until just firm, about 3-4 minutes. Fresh pasta takes less time to cook, it will float to the surface when cooked. Stir once while it's cooking.
- 12Strain and rinse to cool the pasta.
- 13Divide the cheese mixture evenly according to the number of sheets of pasta, about 1/3 cup.
- 14Working with one sheet at a time, lay the sheet of pasta with the longest side facing you, spread one portion of the cheese mixture over the pasta, leaving a 1-2 inch space at the far end, for rolling. Roll up the pasta and cheese, lengthwise, so that the roll will be about 13" long.
- 15Place 1 cup of the marinara sauce, and 1/2 cup of water in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- 16Place the completed pasta rolls seam side down, on top of the marinara sauce, in one layer. (unused sauce can be used when serving the pasta rolls).
- 17Top with enough sauce to cover the rolls. Bake, covered, at 350 for 45 - 60 minutes.
- 18Pesto Alfredo Cream Sauce:.
- 19Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- 20Add the crushed garlic and pesto sauce and cook for one minute. Pour in the heavy cream, raise the heat to med-high, and bring the sauce just barely to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 21Add the Parmesan cheese and stir until the cheese melts. Remove the pan from the heat and keep warm.
- 22Cut the rolls into serving sized pieces.
- 23Place 1 or 2 rolls on a plate, drizzle with the Pesto Alfredo Cream sauce. Garnish with some fresh chopped herbs if desired.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Four Cheese Pasta Roll Ups
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 354.2
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 109.6 mg
- Sodium 383.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 10.1 g