Panini with 4 Italian cheeses and tomatoes with basil....grilled cheese will never be the same again!
- 1⁄2 cup shredded fresh mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Fontina cheese (4 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons asiago cheese (freshly grated) or 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded provolone cheese (3 ounces)
- 8 slices tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 4 ciabatta rolls, halved lengthwise (spread outsides with butter) or 8 slices firm white bread (spread outsides with butter)
- 8 arugula leaves (optional, but recommended)
- In a small bowl, combine cheeses. Spread the cheese on the bottoms of the ciabatta rolls. Top with tomato slices and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with basil and add 2 arugula leaves and close the panini.
- Set a large cast-iron skillet or griddle over moderately high heat. Arrange the panini in skillet and weight them down with a smaller pan (can fill with water if you need more weight). Cook the panini until the outside is crisp and the cheese is melted, 3 minutes per side.
- Cut panini in half and serve at once.