Recipe by ~SarahBeth~
From about.com This is easy and filling. Throw some pan fried or grilled chicken on here and a tossed green salad and dinner is served!
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
This is very good and more "grown up" than the usual mac n' cheese! Made as directed except only had dried bread crumbs not soft. My 3yr old DS didn't like it, but I figured he wouldn't with the harvarti and gruyere. Made for 1-2-3 Hits Nov/Dec 2009.
- 8 ounces mini penne
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup gruyere, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup havarti cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 dash teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup soft fine breadcrumbs
- 1 dash paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain and rinse; set aside.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, until bubbly.
- Gradually stir in the milk and continue cooking, stirring, until thickened.
- Add the Cheddar, Gruyere, Havarti cheeses, and half of the Parmesan cheese. Continue cooking, stirring, until cheeses have melted.
- Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Stir the drained pasta and cheese mixture together.
- Spoon pasta and cheese mixture into the prepared casserole.
- Put bread crumbs in a small bowl with the remaining Parmesan cheese and paprika. Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and drizzle over the bread crumb mixture; toss to blend.
- Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the pasta.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until bubbly.
- Increase temperature to 400° and bake for about 8 to 10 minutes longer, until topping is browned.