Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A delicious alternative to a redsauced-covered manicotti. This is delicious served with a crisp green salad and fresh bread.
- 1 large onion, diced fine (or shredded)
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Saute onion and mushrooms (if using) in butter 5 minutes; stir in flour.
- Gradually stir in milk; stir over low heat until sauce bubbles and thickens.
- Stir in 1 cup Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Cook manicotti shells according to package directions; drain and cover with cold water.
- Mix together ricotta, mozzarella, Romano and remaining Parmesan cheese; add walnuts, parsley and eggs.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Drain manicotti shells; stuff with cheese mixture.
- Place shells side by side in a greased shallow baking pan; spoon sauce over all.
- Bake in preheated 400F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden.