Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Chef Juan Carlos Cruz-"Calorie Commando" on Food Network- comes this delicious comfort food without the guilt. We had this tonight with grilled pork chops, seasoned green beans and spiced apples. I followed the recipe to the letter and husband, son and I thought it was delicious. Note: it is not at all soupy, so if you like your mac runny, add more milk! Also, we felt it needed salt and fresh ground pepper at the table.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup shredded Fontina cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces Velveeta reduced fat cheese product
- 1⁄2 cup Japanese-style bread crumbs (panko)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Salt water.
- Add macaroni, and cook until al dente.
- Drain into a colander.
- Run under cold water and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, combine flour and milk in a large saucepan, whisking until blended.
- Cook over medium heat until thick, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add cheeses and cook until melted and thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cooked macaroni and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over top.
- Bake until bubbly, about 30-40 minutes.
This was easy to make and delicious. I followed the recipe exactly and it came out just right, lighter than regular mac and cheese. I especially loved the panko bread crumbs on top, which gave a nice lite and crunchy taste.
I made it early in the day and it was very eaasy to prepare. I used a mixture of fat free milk and fat free half and half. I also subbed the fontina cheese with provolone because that's what I had. I added some more half and half before baking it. The result was a nice creamy mac and cheese entree! A great flavor with the added bonus of being low fat. Thank you for sharing your recipe lovetacook!
Super easy recipe and lower in fat than the last one I made. Gave it my favorite flavoring by adding fresh steamed lobster. Trying crab next and maybe outside of the lower cal end crawfish and a little chiorizo.