From Chef Juan Carlos Cruz-"Calorie Commando" on Food Network- comes this delicious comfort food without the guilt. We had this tonight with grilled pork chops, seasoned green beans and spiced apples. I followed the recipe to the letter and husband, son and I thought it was delicious. Note: it is not at all soupy, so if you like your mac runny, add more milk! Also, we felt it needed salt and fresh ground pepper at the table.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Salt water.
- Add macaroni, and cook until al dente.
- Drain into a colander.
- Run under cold water and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, combine flour and milk in a large saucepan, whisking until blended.
- Cook over medium heat until thick, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add cheeses and cook until melted and thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cooked macaroni and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over top.
- Bake until bubbly, about 30-40 minutes.