Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is our family's favorite mac and cheese. Whenever there is a family get together my cousin is requested to make this. This makes a lot.
- 1 (8 ounce) package mild cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package colby cheese
- 1 (2 lb) package Velveeta cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) box macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 slices bread
- Cut cheeses into cubes and set aside.
- Cook the macaroni and start the white sauce.
- To make the white sauce:.
- Melt butter or margarine; then blend in the flour, salt and pepper.
- Cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.
- To get a perfect white sauce, remember to combine the melted butter and flour thoroughly to get a smooth paste without bumps.
- Gradually add the 4 cups of milk, about 1/4 cup at a time, thoroughly blending to a smooth consistency after each addition.
- Stir constantly while heating to avoid burning.
- In a large bowl pour in cooked macaroni, then pour in the white sauce.
- Pour cubes of cheese on top(I always save out some of the cheese to place on top)and mix with a large spoon until completely mixed together.
- Butter a 5-quart baking dish.
- Pour the macaroni and cheese mixture into this.
- Pour the 1/2 cup milk over the mixture, making sure it seeps down the sides and middle.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.
- Toast the bread and crumble on top of macaroni.
- After putting bread on mixture, bake an additional 15-45 minutes.
- Note: If you do not like your macaroni and cheese so cheesy, you do not have to use the first 3 cheeses.
- You may choose your own combination of cheeses and you may use more or less of each of the cheeses given.
- Occasionally this will look curdled or be dry. I don't know what causes this but it happens.