Recipe by poochie.poochkins
I found this recipe on another site, but I made a couple changes to it. I never really cared for homemade macaroni and cheese until I found this recipe. The original recipe called for butter, oil, and salt all of which I have cut out of this recipe. This recipe is very flexible you can add any kind of cheese you like, and you don't have to use 4 different kinds. I mix up the cheeses in this recipe all the time, you can use more cheddar and cut 1 cheese out or use another cheese that you prefer.
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni (uncooked)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (mild,sharp, extra sharp, it's up to you)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded colby
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup provolone cheese
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 8 ounces processed cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 eggs (I like to use egg beaters)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large pot bring water to a boil (light salt or oil can be added to prevent noodles from sticking.) Once water is at a rolling boil add noodles and cook according to instructions. Strain, and set to side.
- Mix the shredded cheeses together in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a medium sauce pan on low to medium heat pour in the half and half, processed cheese, and egg. Let this mixture heat up until the processed cheese starts to melt.
- When processed cheese starts to melt I then start, I reach over to my mixing bowl of shredded cheeses and slowly start to add it into the mix, constantly stirring until the cheese melts, adding a handful at a time. Make sure to leave a small amount to sprinkle on top when putting into oven.
- Lightly grease a 2.5 quart baking dish add noodles into the dish. Then pour the cheese mixture on top of the noodles and stir until all noodles are covered.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and then place into oven uncovered for 35 minutes.