Recipe by PaulaG
This is a wonderful way to use up all those bits of cheese left over in the fridge. The idea comes from Weight Watchers and it lends itself to using cheese you have on hand. Of course, Weight Watchers recommends reduced-fat cheese and there were quite a few changes made by me. To ensure that the sauce is nice and creamy, make sure that one of the cheeses you use is a processed cheese. True comfort food!
Top Review by Skooch
I was on a hunt for a "blow your socks off" mac 'n cheese. Absolutely outstanding! I used monterey jack, mozzarella, cheddar and American cheese. Also used whole milk. A definite keeper. Thanks PaulaG.
- 2 1⁄4 cups small shell pasta
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded American cheese
- 1⁄3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan-reggiano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the pasta in boiling, salted water as per package directions; drain and return to the pot.
- Stir in milk, Jack Cheese, American cheese, mozzarella cheese, pepper and ground mustard.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- Serve in individual dishes topped with 1 tablespoon of freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano per serving.