Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a wonderful way to use up all those bits of cheese left over in the fridge. The idea comes from Weight Watchers and it lends itself to using cheese you have on hand. Of course, Weight Watchers recommends reduced-fat cheese and there were quite a few changes made by me. To ensure that the sauce is nice and creamy, make sure that one of the cheeses you use is a processed cheese. True comfort food!
- 2 1⁄4 cups small shell pasta
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded American cheese
- 1⁄3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan-reggiano cheese
- Cook the pasta in boiling, salted water as per package directions; drain and return to the pot.
- Stir in milk, Jack Cheese, American cheese, mozzarella cheese, pepper and ground mustard.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- Serve in individual dishes topped with 1 tablespoon of freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano per serving.
I was on a hunt for a "blow your socks off" mac 'n cheese. Absolutely outstanding! I used monterey jack, mozzarella, cheddar and American cheese. Also used whole milk. A definite keeper. Thanks PaulaG.
I bought a pound of cheese ends at the store just for this recipe. I am not sure what they were, but it made a great mac and cheese. Like the addition of the mustard and white pepper.
This is an easy recipe since there is no roux to make first...I made this for my DS as a take-home meal and doubled the complete recipe, I used shredded cheddar in place of American cheese and also used 2% milk in place of the low-fat milk, this is easy and very good! thanks for sharing Paula!...Kitten:)