Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 6 ounces lasagna noodles
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 1⁄3 cup light cream or 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup shredded gouda cheese (2 ounces)
- 1 cup cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 6 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Set aside.
- In a large skillet cook beef, onion, celery, and garlic till meat is brown and vegetables are tender.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir in the basil, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Add the Cream cheese and light cream or milk.
- Cook and stir over low heat till cheese is melted.
- Stir in wine.
- Gradually add the gouda cheese.
- Cook and stir till cheese is nearly melted; remove from heat.
- In small bowl stir together the cottage cheese and egg.
- In a greased 10 x 6 x 2 inch baking dish layer half of the noodles, half of the meat sauce, half of the cottage cheese mixture, and half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 375o oven for 30 to 35 minutes or till heated through.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
OMG, I can't believe a recipe this good has been on the site that long without any reviews. Most are probably looking for the more traditional lasagna (with tomato/spaghetti sauce). Initially I missed that there were no tomatoes but I sure didn't miss them in the flavour. I used fresh (vs dried) herbs, increased meat & added some italian sausage & lastly I used yogurt in place of the cream/milk. For 1 oz of cheese I shredded (vs sliced) to finish off the top layer to ensure an even layer & no drying of the bottom layers. As far as lasagna's go, this one was fairly easy to put together. Thanks so much for a great recipe.