Recipe by wife2abadge
This is my favorite lasagna recipe after trying MANY. I grate my own Parmesan -- it's so so so much better than the stuff in a can.
- 1⁄2 lb ground sirloin
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can canned tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 (16 ounce) carton low fat cottage cheese
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded mild low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb lasagna noodle, cooked and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, cook the meat, onion, and garlic til meat is browned and onion is tender; drain.
- In a blender process the tomatoes til smooth.
- Stir tomatoes into meat mixture along with mushrooms, tomato paste, and seasonings; simmer 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, Parmesan, chedder, 1/2 cup mozzarella, and eggs.
- Spread 2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of an ungreased 9x13x2-inch baking dish.
- Arrange half the noodles over sauce (they'll overlap -- you'll have more than one layer).
- Spread cottage cheese mixture over noodles.
- Top with remaining noodles and meat sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- Return to the oven for 15 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Remove from oven and let sit 10 minutes before cutting.