Recipe by Crazycook in PA
I got this recipe from a bed and breakfast. It is very rich, moist and custardy and is very versatile. I added fresh basil but any herb could be used. Chopped ham would also be good in this casserole.
Top Review by hannahptl
Made this for guests coming over to brunch at our house - it was well received, with a soft custary filling. I substituted mozzarella for the monterey jack since that was what I had on hand. Also added some diced canadian bacon, red bell peppers and green onions that I quickly sauteed in a pan. The ingredients came together quickly, and it was really nice to have the oven take care of all the cooking instead of standing over the stove scrambling eggs. Kids didn't like it (they're picky) but my hubby, I and the guests thought it was tasty! Love all the cheese that goes in there, and that the recipe's so flexible. Next time though, I wouldn't add the butter, it made greasy pools on top that I had to mop up with paper towel.
- 7 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature, cubed
- 16 ounces cottage cheese, small curd
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together the eggs, milk and sugar. Add the cheeses, butter and basil.
- Mix well then add the flour and baking powder.
- Pour into greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for approximately 50 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.