Recipe by Alan in SW Florida
Perfect for those backyard buffets or family reunions. This "mac and cheese" goes three cheeses better than usual; beyond cheddar, it has mozzarella, Jarlsberg, and Parmesan. Assemble whenever your schedule allows; just allow extra baking time if the casserole goes straight from the fridge to oven.
Top Review by newspapergal
The flavor of this is wonderful, though I think I need to adjust the baking time. I used a high-quality sharp white cheddar, and subbed swiss for the jarlsberg. I topped it with 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs instead of the tomatoes. When I combined the sauce & pasta, it was very "saucey," but after baking for the 45 minutes, the noodles seemed to have soaked up ALL of the sauce. The flavor is very good; DH & I just felt it needed to be creamier. I'll make this again, and see if reducing the baking time to 30 min helps. Thanks :)
- 1 lb rotelle pasta (or other corkscrew type pasta)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded jarlsberg cheese (2 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cored and thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat bottom and sides of a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish with nonstick vegetable-oil cooking spray.
- Cook rotelli pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water following the package directions. Drain the pasta well.
- Meanwhile, mix together the shredded cheddar, mozzarella, and Jarlsberg cheeses and the grated Parmesan cheese in a large bowl.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter in the pot in which the pasta was cooked. Whisk the flour into the melted butter until well blended; continue to cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes to eliminate flour taste. Whisk in 1 cup of the milk until well blended. Gradually whisk in the remaining milk, 1 cup at a time, whisking after each addition until well blended. Stir in the salt, nutmeg, and ground red pepper. Bring the mixture to simmering; cook, whisking constantly, until thickened and smooth, about 2 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in 2 cups of the cheese mixture, whisking until the sauce is very smooth.
- Add the cooked pasta to the cheese sauce in the pot; toss together until well blended.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the remaining cheese mixture evenly over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Spoon half of the pasta mixture into the baking dish, spreading evenly. Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese mixture over the pasta. Spoon the remaining pasta mixture over the cheese mixture. Sprinkle the remaining cheese mixture over the top of pasta. Arrange sliced tomatoes over top of casserole.
- Bake the macaroni and cheese in the preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until the top of the macaroni is lightly golden. Let dish stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.