Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
An easy and quick vegetarian soup that's a little bit spicy. Vary the chilli powder according to how hot you want it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 (425 g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 (750 ml) can four-bean mix
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, shredded
- 2 lavash bread
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- Heat 1 tablespon of the oil in a large pan. Add onion and 2 crushed garlic cloves. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add chilli powder, ground coriander and ground cumin; fry for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add drained and rinsed four-bean mix and simmer for 5 minutes, then add shredded fresh basil and season well.
- Meanwhile, make the croutons: brush 2 lavash breads with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle with seasoned pepper and cut into short 2 cm (3/4 inch wide strips. Bake in a moderate 180°C oven for 5 minutes or until crispy and golden. Serve with the soup.
- This recipe freezes well (without the croutons).