Recipe by Hippie2MARS
This dish is pleasing to the eye and to the palate! You can easily adjust the spices to suit your taste, and add Tabasco or hot pepper sauce if you'd like more heat. I usually serve my chili over corn chips, topped with shredded cheese and sour cream. This recipe is always a bit hit at potlucks!
Top Review by Michael D.
This is really good because -- like most chili recipes -- you can alter it to make it even better. I used ground turkey but to flavor it up, I added five slices of crispy bacon, chopped, and about 8 ounces of diced Chourico. Also threw in some bay leaves. Topped with a tablespoon of light sour cream per serving, shredded Mexican cheese, and -- yum -- chopped cilantro. Wonderful!
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chili beans or 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red beans
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Mrs Dash southwest chipotle seasoning mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup taco seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef with onions, green peppers, garlic, and taco seasoning until meat is cooked through and onions are clear.
- Place cooked beef mixture in crockpot.
- Add all canned items, ending with the broth.
- Add the spices and mix through lightly.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- If not using a crockpot, place all in large Dutch oven, and simmer for at least 1 hour over low heat.