Recipe by Secret Agent
I use Linda's Fantabulous Food Processor Pie Crust to make this pie when the king comes for dinner. It's always a hit with his nibs so I hope you will try it too. If you can' find four and twenty blackbirds at your supermarket just use a nice 3 1/2 to four pound broiler/fryer or all thighs or all white meat or any other poultry.
- 6 cups cold water, mixed with
- 1⁄2 cup kosher salt (to cover 3 1/2 pound fryer, washed and brined for 4 hours, then drain and rinse chicken)
- 1⁄2 gallon chicken stock
- 4 cups vegetables, frozen and mixed
- 1 cup potato, diced peeled
- 1 cup white pearl onion, frozen (microwave for a few minutes to pre-cook them)
- 1 teaspoon flat leaf parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon sage, minced
- 3 scallions, whites and greens, chopped
- 1 tablespoon frozen chives
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
Season to taste with
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 egg, separated
- 1⁄2 cup of sliced red grapes or 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
Directions See How It's Made
- While the broth cooks make the Recipe #300887 and chill after you shape into disks and wrap with plastic wrap.
- place drained and rinsed chicken in large pot and cover with chicken stock.
- Bring to a simmer, for two hours, adding stock as necessary. Remove chicken to a bowl and discard skin, bones, and anything you would not serve a king.
- Remove two cups of broth and stir in the Corn startch stirring well into the soup to thicken. When it has thickened enough for your taste, roll out and arrange bottom crust in 10" glass pie plate and brush with beaten egg white. Let dry a few minutes while you finish the filling.
- Ladle Black Birds (or chicken) and veggie filling into pie shell and pour thickened soup over all. Be sure to do this on a sheet pan to keep your oven clean. Put top crust on and crimp edges. Cut steam vents in the shape of crows feet around the center of the top crust.
- Beat yolk with a drop or two of cream and paint the top crust to give top crust a homey look.
- Bake at 400" for 50 - 60 minutes. Cover with foil last 15 minutes if it becomes too brown for you.
- Serve hot with a salad and the queen will think it is such a dainty dish.