Recipe by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Everyone has their own chili recipe or a variation of someone else's. Heck, there are probably already TWO on this site that could be just like this one. I have been making this chili for more than 25 years. The ingredients have been tweaked here and there over the years until I found just the right flavor and this is it! All I know is when I make a pot of this chili, there are never any leftovers. Like any recipe, if you leave out or change an ingredient, it doesn't come out the same way. Try it this way, then go ahead and create your own version. If you like your chili really hot, instead of hot sauce use Hotter 'n' Heck Hot Sauce. But most of all just ENJOY IT!
Top Review by tracytrebilcox
This is the one I use for my base, and then toss in a handful of pequins and about a half-dozen of ghost peppers. When I have them, I've also used a couple of Scotch Bonnets. Now it's just to wait and see if we have any Carolina Reapers this year because that will add a different flavor to it.
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1 large green bell pepper (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans Rotel tomatoes & chilies (or your favorite brand)
- 2 (16 ounce) cansof bushs best chili magic chili starter (I like the Texas Medium or the Louisiana Hot)
- 20 ounces warm water
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon onion flakes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 tablespoon masa harina flour (corn flour)
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly oil the bottom of a 3-quart pot with olive oil and lightly sauté the onions, peppers and garlic. Do not brown.
- Add the ground sirloin and brown. Do not drain off fat; this adds to flavor of the chili.
- Mix all the dry ingredients and the hot sauce in the warm water and stir until well dissolved.
- Pour this seasoned water mixture into the meat, peppers, garlic and onions.
- Add the beans and the tomatoes and green chilies.
- Mix to blend all items. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with bread or crackers.
- *** If you want your chilli a bit more spiceier try adding a couple diced up habanerro peppers seeds and all.