Try feeding your family some foul mud tonight! The name may be off-putting, but the taste is not. Foul Mudammas is a middle eastern recipe based on a dish available at Alfanoose, a gem of a restaurant in the financial district in Manhattan, where you'll find all the suits from Wall Street lined up for their weekday fix. This dish may or may not be authentic, but the guy who runs this place (and his wife who developed this recipe) are definitely Arabic. Serve as side dish or for lunch in a pita bread. I recommend using the roasted garlic - instructions for how to roast garlic can be found elsewhere on Recipezaar. Using raw garlic will give it more of a bite but won't make it as aromatic. Letting this soak overnight improves the flavor but that's optional.
- 1 (15 ounce) can fava beans (broad)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped small
- 1⁄2 red onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups parsley, chopped well
- 1 lemon, juice of (or more to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 -7 garlic cloves, roasted and minced or 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Rinse and drain well fava beans and chick peas.
- Chop tomatoes and drain (draining is not required, but will get rid of some extra liquid in the dressing).
- Combine all ingredients and let marinate overnight in refrigerator, if desired. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
3 3/4 stars. Lazy to make roast garlic so I just used less fresh & extra freshly squeezed lemon out of preference. I prefer a similar salad with just chickpeas rather than using fava beans, like other said they are bland. I used extra virgin olive oil and sea salt. I won't make this again.
I used fresh garlic too (I like the bite). BUT - It was a little on the bland side. So I added about 1 heaping tsp toasted cumin and 1/2 tsp ground coriander. It really elevated this salad to the next level.
I made this last night to serve with dinner this evening. It was delicious right from the start, even before allowing it to marinate. I couldn't find canned fava beans in the market (?) so I opted for butter beans. Although I love roasted garlic I used fresh garlic. Definitely will be making this again. Thanks for posting.