1/1 Photo of Fougasse With Olive Tapenade
I was looking for a fun appetizer prior to a French meal I had planned. I thought modifying a traditional Fougasse recipe and putting the olives "on the side" as it were would work. The tapenade ingredients are quite salty therefore I skipped the fleur de sel as well as the olives on the fougasse. Give it a try, let me know.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g bread flour or 500 g all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons fast rising yeast
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 400 ml warm water (110 degrees)
- 1/4 cup rough chopped fresh rosemary or 1/4 cup fresh thyme
- 1 dozen black olives, rough chopped (optional)
- 1 -2 teaspoon fleur de sel (optional)
- 2Combine flour, yeast, salt and oil in a stand mixer bowl.
- 3With dough hook attached and running on medium low (3 on my Kitchenaid) add all but a few Tbsp of the water.
- 4Continue "kneading" the dough for about 4 minutes. The dough should come away from the sides of the bowl. Add more water as necessary.
- 5Alternatively use a large bowl and a wooden spoon or Danish whisk to combine then turn the dough out to a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes by hand.
- 6Place the dough in a large oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size.minimum 1 hour.
- 7Preheat oven to 425f.
- 8Gently scrape the dough into a large baking pan, pulling the dough to fit within the pan.
- 9Let the dough rest for 20 minutes more.
- 10Dress the top of the bread with the herbs.
- 11If using the olives and salt, press the olives into the dough and lightly sprinkle the top with the fleur de sel.
- 12Bake for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- 13Remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- 14Cut into small bite sized pieces.
- 16Pulse the garlic, olives, anchovy, and capers in a small food processor until pureed.
- 17Continue pulsing and add 1 Tbsp of olive oil at a time until all the ingredients come together.
- 18Add lemon juice and pepper to garnish.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fougasse With Olive Tapenade
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 253.2
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 292.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 6.2 g