1/3 Photos of Fougasse (Olive Bread)
3 hrs 5 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
Adapted from a recipe in "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day." The recipe can easily be doubled.
My Private Note
one lb ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 (7 g) packet yeast
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup kalamata olives (quarters if large) or 1 cup nicoise olive, pits removed and cut in half (quarters if large)
- olive oil, for greasing the baking sheet and brushing the loaf
- 1In a 3-qt (or larger) bowl, combine water, yeast, salt, sugar and olive oil. Stir in flour with a wooden spoon, or in a heavy-duty stand mixer with dough hook, just until all the flour is incorporated; do not knead. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours, or until it rises then collapses. (Dough may be used at this point, or refrigerated for up to 5 days.).
- 2Place an empty broiler tray or baking pan in the oven and preheat oven to 400°F
- 3Divide dough in half and work with one piece at a time. Form the dough into a ball, then flatten to about 1/2" thickness on a heavily-floured work surface. (This dough needs to be drier than most to hold the cut shapes, so keep that in mind when adding bench flour.) Sprinkle with half the olives, then roll up jelly-roll-fashion. Form into a ball, then into a flat oval. Slice angled slits into the dough, then gently pull them open. Transfer to a greased cookie sheet and brush with more olive oil. Let rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- 4Place the cookie sheet on a rack in the middle of the oven. Pour 1 cup hot water into the empty broiler pan and quickly close the oven door. Bake 20-25 minutes, until puffy and golden brown (the crust will not get crackly hard because of the oil).
- 5Repeat with remaining dough and remaining olives.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fougasse (Olive Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (983 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1016.4
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2685.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 175.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 24.5 g