Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
This is rich, but so good it's worth the calories! Adapted from Chef2Chef!
- 4 whole garlic heads
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups minced shallots
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 cups light cream (or use half&half)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Remove white papery skins from garlic heads (do not peel or separate cloves). Place the heads on a sheet pan, covered with foil and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp (you should have about 1/4 cup). Discard skins.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté 3 minutes or until softened. Add mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar; cook 1 minute or until liquid almost evaporates. Remove from heat.
- Place cream, garlic pulp, flour, thyme, salt, and pepper in a food processor; process until smooth.
- Arrange one-third of potatoes in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread half of the shallot/mushroom mixture over potatoes. Repeat procedure with remaining potato slices and shallot mixture, ending with potato slices. Pour cream mixture evenly over potatoes.
- Cover the baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 15 minutes or until cheese is golden. Test for doneness by sticking a fork into the casserole. It should sink through easily. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
I made this yesterday and boy was it a great treat. I am a HUGE fan of garlic so this dish was devine! I used skim milk and omited the cheese to make it a but lighter. Awesome recipe for garlic fans like myself!