1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 25 mins
This is rich, but so good it's worth the calories! Adapted from Chef2Chef!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 whole garlic heads
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups minced shallots
- 1/2 lb sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups light cream (or use half&half)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- 2Remove white papery skins from garlic heads (do not peel or separate cloves). Place the heads on a sheet pan, covered with foil and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp (you should have about 1/4 cup). Discard skins.
- 3Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 4Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté 3 minutes or until softened. Add mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar; cook 1 minute or until liquid almost evaporates. Remove from heat.
- 5Place cream, garlic pulp, flour, thyme, salt, and pepper in a food processor; process until smooth.
- 6Arrange one-third of potatoes in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread half of the shallot/mushroom mixture over potatoes. Repeat procedure with remaining potato slices and shallot mixture, ending with potato slices. Pour cream mixture evenly over potatoes.
- 7Cover the baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 15 minutes or until cheese is golden. Test for doneness by sticking a fork into the casserole. It should sink through easily. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Forty Roasted Clove Scalloped Potatoes With Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (2293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.3
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 73.3 mg
- Sodium 575.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 13.0 g