Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
My family recipe for spaghetti
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 28 ounces tomato sauce
- 7 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup fresh zucchini
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 7 ounces mushrooms
- 12 ounces spaghetti noodles
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 loaf day-old white bread, presliced
- Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In deep sided skillet add your ground beef and separate with a spatula and begin to cook over a medium low heat.
- Add one teaspoon of minced garlic.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Add some Italian Seasoning.
- Cut and chop the desired amount of Bell pepper and onion and add to the skillet. I use half a bell pepper and 1/3 of a white onion.
- Cut the end off the zucchini and then cut in to small bite size squares and add to skillet.
- Take the Italian Sausage links and cut in to 1 inch sections. It is a quick and easy way to make meatballs without getting too messy.
- Add sausage to the skillet and stir occasionally until the meat has been browned.
- Drain Grease and put back on the medium low heat.
- For timing purposes you want to begin to boil your water for the pasta at this point. Follow the directions on the package of spaghetti noodles that you purchased as far as how much water to boil. But it is.
- important to start boiling water at this point The noodles should be ready at about the same time as the sauce.
- Put the two cans of tomato sauce in the skillet.
- Take one of tomato sauce cans and fill it half way with water and pour the water in to the skillet.
- Add Italian Seasoning.
- Heat to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for ten minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the noodles to the boiling water and stir frequently to prevent the noodles from sticking together.
- Return noodles to rapid boil. Cook for length of time was directed on the package. If you think the noodles are done than you need to take one out and taste it. Some people throw a noodle on the wall and if it sticks they feel it is done. This is a messy way to do pasta and it marks up the wall. But in the end it is your wall and your noodles so have fun with it.
- When pasta is ready you need to drain and rinse with hot water.
- Place pasta back in pot or in serving bowl and add one table spoon of butter and stir.
- *Hint* you may also use Linguini or angel hair spaghetti noodles just to add change.
- When the noodles are getting close to being done, you need to stir in the tomato paste and continue simmering sauce uncovered. The tomato paste will thicken the sauce and add a deep red color.
- Start tasting the sauce at this point to see if it needs more Italian seasoning or garlic. Salt and pepper are also welcome in this recipe. Remember that you can always add more but you can never take the seasoning out of the sauce.
- Simmer on low until the noodles and garlic bread are done.
- If you like your spaghetti sauce to be sweet than you need to add one tablespoon of grape jelly in with the tomato paste. It sounds crazy but it will not makes it taste like grapes and it cooks out to where no-one.
- can see you put it in there. It will be your little secret. It only adds some sweetness to the sauce. I promise. Do not add sugar.
- In a small pan add two tablespoons of butter, one tea spoon of minced garlic, and some Italian Seasoning. Melt the butter and simmer for minute and set aside. *Hint* You can also microwave this in a small bowl.
- Get a metal baking tray and cover it with foil. Take the day old bread and begin toasting the pieces in the toaster. You want to toast them just long enough for the edges to turn brown.
- When you have enough bread to cover the metal baking sheet you need to take a spoon and drizzle the garlic butter over the toast and then bake for five minutes.Serve with meal.
- *Hint* Add shredded cheese on top for a little something.
- Serve and Enjoy!