1/1 Photo of Forty Clove Dutch Oven Brisket
3 hrs 20 mins
A rich, flavorful dish that will have you coming back for more! Adapted from Chef2Chef.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (5 -6 lb) beef brisket, rinsed and patted dry
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 40 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large sweet onion, thick sliced and separated into rings
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Season brisket liberally on both sides with kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper.
- 3Heat a large skillet(that can be placed in oven)or Dutch oven with a lid over medium-high heat on stove top. Add olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Sear both sides of brisket fat-side down first, until golden brown. Remove to a sheet pan.
- 4Add garlic cloves and onion rings to the remaining oil in the pan. Cook and stir until garlic begins to turn golden and sweet onions are limp and lightly colored.
- 5Add red wine and deglaze the pan by scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add beef stock, tomato paste, bay leaves, basil and oregano. Bring back to a simmer, then turn off heat. Move garlic and onions to the side and return brisket to the skillet. Spoon garlic and onions over the top of the brisket, cover tightly, and place in the oven.
- 6Bake for 1 hour at 325 degrees F. Reduce heat to 300 degrees and bake an additional 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until brisket is fork-tender. Remove brisket to a platter and cover with foil to rest for 10 minutes.
- 7Remove half of of garlic cloves and most of onions to a bowl. Skim off excess oil from the pan gravy and discard. Blend pan gravy and remaining garlic until smooth in a food processor. You can add a little cornstarch slurry(cornstarch whisked with a little water) to thicken gravy, by bringing it back to the stove and returning to a boil. Return reserved whole garlic cloves and onions to the gravy.
- 8Slice brisket diagonally across the grain. Serve with pan gravy. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Forty Clove Dutch Oven Brisket
Serving Size: 1 (3265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 962.5
- Calories from Fat 710
- Total Fat 78.9 g
- Saturated Fat 30.8 g
- Cholesterol 206.9 mg
- Sodium 445.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 50.3 g