Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Going with an oriental meal tonight? End it with your own homemade fortune cookie. Could you ever let your imitation go with writing out "fortunes" for everyone. One for my daughter " I see a clean your room in your future".
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Combine egg whites, sugar and salt.
- Mix well until sugar and salt dissolve.
- Add butter, flour, and extracts.
- Drop a few tablespoons of dough onto a well-greased cookie sheet.
- Leave plenty of space for the cookies to expand.
- I'd bake only a few until you get the hang of molding them.
- Bake 10 minutes or until edges are light brown.
- Mold warm cookie over a wooden spoon handle to form a cylinder.
- Insert a"fortune".
- Pinch ends together to shape the traditional fortune cookie.
The cookies have a great taste but don't taste or look exactly like fortune cookies. They are close though and taste very good. I tried wrapping a few first and had some trouble but I found a method after that and cooked about six at a time. The folding is the hardest part of this recipe but anyone should be able to do it.
These where actually really easy to make. Calling them fortune cookies on the other hand.... They definately taste good, but they tasted more like butter cookies (really rich and a tad too sweet for my taste) but overall they where much liked by friends.
the cookies tasted nothing like a fortune cookie, more like a sugar cookie. i found them too much of a hassle to make since it did not have the desired taste