Recipe by Nyteglori
From a recipe book on 18th century frontier outpost recipes. A spider is a cast iron skillet. The amount of roast beef traditionally is what is left over from the dinner of the night before.
Directions See How It's Made
- In spider cut into pieces convenient for boiling cold roast or other meat. Add pepper and salt.
- Add cabbage boiled and chopped small.
- Keep stirring that all may be equally done.
- Sprinkle a little vinegar (only enough to give it a slightly acid taste) over the cabbage when taken from the fire.
- Place cabbage in the center of a plate and arrange the meat about it.