Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is my Aunt Bunny's recipe. I don't know where she got it from, but Mum started make it too & it's made it's way into my own cookbook. I've substituted a good Italian tomato sauce for the soup and I even added wine once. With these you just cook it a bit longer to reduce a bit more. Either way it's a very easy stew and it always tastes good. Oh, I also add garlic.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cubed beef
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 10 1⁄2 ounces tomato soup, undiluted
- 0.5 (10 ounce) can water (use soup can)
- 3 potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- Place all ingredients in a 3 quart casserole & stir until well mixed.
- Cover tightly & bake in a 350F oven for about 3 hours.
- Serve with baking powder biscuits or warm rolls.
- This is almost way too easy, but it does work. If you want you can flour & brwon the beef cubes first, but if you want the easy way, this is it and it is still really good.
What a simple and great stew. This is pretty much the way that my Mom used to make it. It was great on a cold and wet day. Thanks SusieQ222 for sharing. Made for Cookbook Tag.
Was going to make just half the recipe for the two of us, but then decided to make it for some neighbors, so made the full batch & included garlic, which they love! Also did not peel the potatoes (lots of nutrition in that peel!) Very easy to make, & a nice, satisfying taste (CERTAINLY, I had a small bowl before delivering the rest elsewhere!) Thanks for sharing your recipe!