Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A recipe from the Caribbean island of Curacao. Posted for ZWT5.
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg whites (8 to 10 eggs)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon peel (or lime peel)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, plus extra for coating
- 1 (12 1/4 ounce) jar caramel topping
- custard, sauce (such as Custard Sauce)
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff with cream of tartar and grated peel, add sugar slowly then the vanilla.
- Slightly grease a ring mold then coat with granulated sugar, shaking out the excess.
- Spoon in meringue and cut through with a knife, shake to even the batter, remove any air pockets. Put mold into a shallow pan of hot water and place into the oven.
- Turn off the oven and leave the meringue in for at least 2 hours without opening the door at any time.
- Finally, unmold the meringue, pour hot caramel over it and serve with chilled custard sauce.