Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Forgotten, but not for long! Long cooking time is actually leaving them in the turned-off oven overnight.
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 36 Hershey chocolate kisses (36 count, unwrapped)
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar and salt in small mixer bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in sugar continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Add vanilla, and beat until combined.
- Drop meringue mixture by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets top each with a Hershey's Kiss.
- Cover kiss completely with a small teaspoonful of meringue.
- Place in a preheated 375 degree F oven.
- Immediately turn off oven and let cookies remain in oven overnight or until completely dry.
Forgotten could be so many things. First, you put them in the oven and foregt about them. Secondly, you can use up all of those forgotten goodies in the pantry . . .coconut, butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, nuts (any kind), white chocolate . . .the combinations are endless. What a great recipe! Thanks for sharing.
I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet! I have a cookbook titled "Favorites" in which I stash recipes that I make again and again. Imagine my astonishment when this wasn't in it! It is now. The only hard part of this recipe is planning ahead to leave enough time to "forget" the Kisses. This recipe is also in my Gift Foods cookbook and this gift never fails to get major praise and requests for the recipe. Thanks, Mirj!