Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Though this is a recipe for Quesadillas, I've turned them more often into burritos, following all the same ingredients, except rolling the tortilla's burrito-style. When made into quesadilla's, not only are they great for weeknight, weekend meals, appetizer, but they are also great for bringing them to a potluck. Just slice them like a pizza and place them on pretty serving platter and I'll guarantee that they'll be gone lickety split.
- Combine chicken and taco seasoning mix in a heavy duty zip-top bag; toss to coat. Refrigerate for 1 - 2 hours or overnight.
- Place chicken in a broiler pan or in a 15 x 10 x 11 inch jellyroll pan.
- Broil coated chicken 6 inches from heat (with electric oven door partially open) for 5 - 6 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- In a bowl, combine chicken, cheese, picante sauce, and red peppers; stirring well. Set aside.
- Brush 1 side of each tortilla with melted butter; place 2 tortillas, buttered side down, on a cookie sheet. Top each tortilla with about 1 cup of chicken mixture, spreading to edges of tortilla. Top each with a tortilla, buttered side up.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges. Repeat with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture. Serve immediately.
- NOTE: If making these into burritos, mound chicken mixture 1/4 of the was down on tortilla's. Turn over short side of tortilla over chicken. Turn both right and left sides of tortilla about 1 inch inches Roll up cigar style, enveloping the chicken mixture tightly. Place on greased cookie sheet, seam-side down. Brush each burrito with melted butter. Bake until golden brown.
- Note # 2:If you can find Chi-Chi's taco seasoning mix, these will be To Die For. But unfortunately I can't find this seasoning anymore. They used to advertise right on the package that it didn't contain the "red stuff". I use other taco seasoning mixes, but none compare to the goodness that Chi-Chi's had. If you can find Chi-Chi's somewhere, use 2 pkg's because each pkg. was about 1 /2 - 3/4 ounces. If you do find it, let me know, because I'd love to know because I've been searching for a long time.
Great quesadillas. I made these as directed other than using a yellow pepper since I was out of red. They were very tasty - and very messy! lol. We ended up eating these with a fork because they kept falling apart on us. Have lots of napkins at the ready. Thanks for sharing this easy winner. Made for Best of 2013 Tag.
These were yummy. However, I had some issues with following directions, but the results were still great. I broiled the chicken breasts whole and then sliced. Needless to say they were not done in 6 minutes. I left out the peppers due to personal preference. Thanks for sharing.
Wonderful quesadillas!!! I was able to get Chi Chi's Restaurant Seasoning packets through amazon, and I have to agree, great seasoning mix!!! I used a whole packet on just 2 thin chicken cutlets, so I really over seasoned them, but once mixed with the salsa, peppers, cheese (and I added sauteed onions to the whole lot) it was wonderful!!! I decided to flip the tortilla, to make sure the bottom was crispy too and of course it didn't stay together well and therefore not a great photo. Next time I think I would shred the chicken so that it would be thinner without the larger bite size pieces, and then follow as written. Thanks ForeverMama for another great recipe!! Made for Spring 2013 PAC.