Recipe by ForeverMama
Though this is a recipe for Quesadillas, I've turned them more often into burritos, following all the same ingredients, except rolling the tortilla's burrito-style. When made into quesadilla's, not only are they great for weeknight, weekend meals, appetizer, but they are also great for bringing them to a potluck. Just slice them like a pizza and place them on pretty serving platter and I'll guarantee that they'll be gone lickety split.
Top Review by lazyme
Great quesadillas. I made these as directed other than using a yellow pepper since I was out of red. They were very tasty - and very messy! lol. We ended up eating these with a fork because they kept falling apart on us. Have lots of napkins at the ready. Thanks for sharing this easy winner. Made for Best of 2013 Tag.
- 4 chicken breast halves, cut into 1/4 inch thick strips
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (refer to note # 2 below)
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 12 -16 ounces picante sauce
- 2 -3 medium red sweet bell peppers, chopped
- 10 -12 flour tortillas (10-inch)
- melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chicken and taco seasoning mix in a heavy duty zip-top bag; toss to coat. Refrigerate for 1 - 2 hours or overnight.
- Place chicken in a broiler pan or in a 15 x 10 x 11 inch jellyroll pan.
- Broil coated chicken 6 inches from heat (with electric oven door partially open) for 5 - 6 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- In a bowl, combine chicken, cheese, picante sauce, and red peppers; stirring well. Set aside.
- Brush 1 side of each tortilla with melted butter; place 2 tortillas, buttered side down, on a cookie sheet. Top each tortilla with about 1 cup of chicken mixture, spreading to edges of tortilla. Top each with a tortilla, buttered side up.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges. Repeat with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture. Serve immediately.
- NOTE: If making these into burritos, mound chicken mixture 1/4 of the was down on tortilla's. Turn over short side of tortilla over chicken. Turn both right and left sides of tortilla about 1 inch inches Roll up cigar style, enveloping the chicken mixture tightly. Place on greased cookie sheet, seam-side down. Brush each burrito with melted butter. Bake until golden brown.
- Note # 2:If you can find Chi-Chi's taco seasoning mix, these will be To Die For. But unfortunately I can't find this seasoning anymore. They used to advertise right on the package that it didn't contain the "red stuff". I use other taco seasoning mixes, but none compare to the goodness that Chi-Chi's had. If you can find Chi-Chi's somewhere, use 2 pkg's because each pkg. was about 1 /2 - 3/4 ounces. If you do find it, let me know, because I'd love to know because I've been searching for a long time.