Recipe by ForeverMama
I've been making these carrots since I was a very young girl. They are delectable served as a side dish with any meal. It's my husband's favorite vegetable, and he's not a big fan of vegies. It is always on my Holiday table. It pares great with roasted turkey and a beef roast!
Top Review by DailyInspiration
We enjoyed this dish very much -- loved the combo of the carrots and red onions. I did add a touch more brown sugar and I added a tiny bit of water as well. I also left out the basil. Definitely a keeper. Served with roasted chicken and steamed broccoli. Made for PRMR, June, 2014.
- 2 tablespoons butter (1/4 stick)
- 2 lbs carrots, diagonally cut into 1/4 thick slices
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced into medium size strips
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter over low heat in a medium saucepan. Add carrots, onions, brown sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Cover pan tightly and cook over low heat for 15 - 25 minutes. Add basil, cover pan tightly again and continue cooking until onions and carrots are fork tender.
- Note that the carrots will secrete its own moisture, therefore adding liquid is not necessary. But if you're pan is not tightly sealed and the moisture escapes, add 1 tablespoon of water to replace the moisture lost. Enjoy!