1 hr 1 min
All the different vegetables in this recipe are fabulous and evoke perfect Mediterranean flavors. It's always a favorite when I've served it at dinner parties or regular days. Some of the steps can be broken down and made ahead to make it a breeze. I have not included the overnight refrigerator rest time to the total amount of prep. time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 eggplant, thinly sliced
- 3 -4 zucchini, thinly sliced
- sea salt or kosher salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for tossing (use a good quality brand)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, minced
- white pepper or ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried herbes de provence (or dried or fresh minced herbs of your choice, use more or less, to taste)
- pesto sauce, to taste (refer to note # 1)
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, and seeded
- 2 yellow bell peppers, roasted, peeled, and seeded
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 ounces chevre cheese (plain or with herbs)
- 3/4-1 cup pecans (refer to note # 2)
- 1Place the eggplant and zucchini slices in a colander in the sink, sprinkle with salt, and let drain for at least 1 hour. Rinse well and blot dry with paper towels.
- 2In a large skillet, heat the oil over very low heat, toss in the onions and garlic, and cook until soft, about 20 minutes.
- 3Toss the zucchini and eggplant with just enough olive oil to coat them. Season with the salt, pepper and herbs. Place on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350-degree Fahrenheit oven until just tender, about 20 minutes.
- 4Oil a 4 - 6 cup terrine or loaf pan and layer in the zucchini and eggplant, then the red and yellow peppers, then the onion and garlic mixture along with the minced parsley.
- 5Reduce the oven temperature to 300-degrees Fahrenheit. Place the terrine, covered with a sheet of aluminum foil, in a large pan filled with hot water that reaches halfway up the sides of the terrine. Bake for 1 hour.
- 6Remove the terrine from the water and cool to room temperature.
- 7Cover with plastic wrap and place a weight on top (such as a foil lined brick). Refrigerate for 24 hours. (Can be made up to 3 days ahead and kept in the refrigerator).
- 8Blot up any excess oil and juices. Unmold onto an ovenproof platter. Top with pieces of chevre and pecans.
- 9Before serving, if preferred, place in a preheated 350-degree Fahrenheit oven until the cheese is hot or can be served at room temperature.
- 10Pour the vinaigrette over the top and around the base of the terrine (refer to note # 3). Place extra pecans around the base as well. Serve with lots of crusty French bread to sop up the vinaigrette.
- 11NOTE # 1: Herbs used can be any of your choice and can vary on quantity to your taste. It's wonderful with fresh basil leaves layered through out and/or pesto layered is very delicious. I've used differnet herbs at different times such as herbes de Provence, Italian seasoning, thyme, a bit of rosemary, etc. It's all a matter of individual taste.
- 12RASPBERRY VINAIGRETTE:.
- 13Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor fitted with a metal blade or in a blender. Taste and adjust for seasonings. (Can be made up to 5 days in advance and refrigerated).
- 14NOTE # 2: Saute the pecans in in 2 - 4 tablespoons olive oil for 5 - 10 minutes over medium heat, until fragrant. Or - simply toast them in the oven until lightly browned and fragrant.
- 15NOTE # 3: The full amount of the Raspberry Vinaigrette is not meant to be used all at once in this recipe, but rather use more if necessary if people prefer. The remainder of the vinaigrette can be used for other uses such as served over cooked broccoli, asparagus, or chard, etc. Also good on pasta, rice, or seafood salads.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Forevermama's Meditterranean Vegetable Terrine
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 689.5
- Calories from Fat 625
- Total Fat 69.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 11.2 mg
- Sodium 86.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence